From Rome airport to Rome you have different choices of public and private transportation
From Fiumicino to Rome
How to arrive: Airports of Rome: Rome has two airports. The major one is called Leonardo da Vinci di Fiumicino. National and international flights arrive there. Fiumicino airport is distant around 33 km from downtown. The smaller airport is called Pastine di Ciampino and is known more for all the low cost airlines like Ryan Air, Easy-Jet, Wizz Air, Central Wings and Hapag Lloyd Express. Ciampino airport is distant around 14 km from downtown.
How to get from airports to Rome
From Leonardo da Vinci di Fiumicino: A taxi costs Euro 40 from the airport to downtown for a max. of 4 people including luggage. The fare is written on the doors of the vehicle. I would advise you to only take official registered taxis just to avoid possible upcoming problems.
Also, the Fiumicino airport has a train that leaves every 30 minutes from 6.36AM to 11.36PM called Leonardo Express. It’s a NON-STOP shuttle service between Fiumicino airport and Roma Termini station. The train departs from platforms 23/24 at the Termini Station, and is guaranteed year around, even in the event of strikes, which is quite often in this country, especially during the summer. The cost of one way ticket is 14.00 Euro per person. Children under the age of 4, small pets in a carrier and children aged between 4 and 12 traveling with one paying adult are free.
Another way would be taking the FL1 train. The train departs every 15 minutes and cost’s only 8.00 Euro per person. FL1 regional train takes you from Leonardo da Vinci Airport to the main train stations in Rome (including Termini station): Trastevere, Ostiense, Tuscolana and Tiburtina. Children under the age of 4, small pets in a carrier and children aged between 4 and 12 traveling with one paying adult are free.
Where to buy your tickets:
- in official ticket offices at the airport and in the train stations;
- on the official Italian website for trains and transportation;
- from self-service machines you can find at the airport and in the train stations;
- in authorized travel agencies;
- in authorized points of sale like coffee bars (no, it will not say or be written on the outside), journal/newsstands you can find standing near to the tracks or Italian “Tabacchi shops” – the only place where you can buy cigarettes.
IMPORTANT Information: Hold on to your tickets until the very end, you will need it to exit turnstiles at the Fiumicino Airport station.
For passengers with disability or reduced mobility: trains are equipped with dedicated seating and equipped restrooms.
You also have the possibility of taking a bus called SIT shuttle bus. The ticket from the Fiumicino airport to Stazione Termini costs euro 5. Of course the bus wouldn’t get you downtown as fast as the train…
Where can you buy the tickets:
- on-line on the official SIT shuttle website;
- directly on board of the bus;
- Termini Station at “Grandi Biglietterie” in front of the tracks number 24.
The SITBusShuttle bus stop at the Termini station is in Via Marsala 5, right in front of the Hotel Royal Santina. The SITBusShuttle bus stop at the Fiumicino airport is at the bus station - Terminal 3. I would advise you to go on their official website where they have pictures to explain better on where to go.
From Pastine di Ciampino airport: A taxi costs Euro 35 from the airport to downtown for a max. of 4 people including luggage. The fare is written on the doors of the taxi vehicle. Even here, I’d advise you to only take official registered taxis.
Another option would be the service bus Terravision. The bus goes daily around every 30 minutes and the ticket cost euro 4/person one way. Children under 4 are free.
Where to purchase your tickets:
Ciampino airport is small and basically you can’t do much wrong.
-on the official Terravision website;
- inside the Ciampino airport;
- on the bus;
Where to find the bus stops:
- Termini station: Via Marsala n. 29 - in front of the Terracafè;
- Ciampino airport: Coach station – near the “arrivals” area, bus stop 3
The SIT Bus Shuttle has a service for the Ciampino airport as well. The cost is the same, 4.00 euro/person and 6.00 Euro/person if it’s only a one way ticket. Should it happen that you arrive late at night or leave early in the morning, SIT Bus Shuttle can offer you a great solution! They start at 4.30AM from Termini station and leave at 11.30PM from the Ciampino airport.
Where to purchase your tickets:
- Ciampino airport “arrival” hall and bus stop n. 3
- On the bus;
- Near the Termini station - Via Marsala, 5;
- Inside the Termini Station – next to the tracks N° 24;
Where to take the SIT bus shuttle:
- Ciampino airport – In front of departures/arrivals gate
- Termini station – Via Marsala, 5 - in front of the Hotel Royal Santina
Please take a look at their official web site where you can see a map explaining the exact positions.